With more than 78% of internet users watching video online and 30% of search engine results now containing video - video search engine optimisation (VSEO) is becoming increasingly important in digital marketing.
Let’s start by quickly defining VSEO:
VSEO is the process of optimising your videos so that they appear, for your desired keywords, in the hosting site’s results e.g. YouTube, and search engine’s results e.g. Google.
So what are the basic steps to optimising your videos?
- Add a relevant video title and description
- Add relevant video keywords; there are 3 types,
—-- Informational (e.g. What is VSEO?)
—-- Transactional (e.g. Buying books on VSEO)
—-- Navigational (e.g. VSEO.com)
- Build quality links to your video (hopefully this will occur naturally)
Note: Informational keywords perform better in search results, so they should be your primary focus.
Other factors which can affect your video ranking?
- Number of thumbs up and down against your video i.e likes and dislikes
- Number of comments and shares against your video
- Number of channel subscribers
With these in mind, it’s important to consider what you want to be found for and name, describe and add the relevant keywords against your videos.